Altman's Training Log

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hard racing

We finished up today 5th in B final with some good racing. It's disappointing, but we just weren't having a great week for whatever reason. It's frustrating because we are a good crew, probably the best I've been a part of, so it's too bad this stretch had to come at the Olympics. We had some trouble getting the boat off the line in every race (that is, executing a starting sequence to the race), for whatever reason, and couldn't get any comfortable traction. The race itself is a bit of a blur and I don't really remember much... but I was pleased to see it was a bit closer than I initially thought.

Currently rather than being out celebrating, I am hanging out at the hotel recovering. Immediately after the race, I got hit with some kind of puking spell that lasted over an hour, followed by 2 hours of dizziness and lying down. Since there was little in my stomach but water at that point, is was sort of unpleasant. I felt fine with normal raceweek soreness going into the race today, but it's possible there may have been some bug in my system that got stressed by racing. The team doctor very patiently talked me through it and said it was a result of overexertion. Now I am back at the hotel doing a little better. I've never, ever after any workout or race in my life that I remember, been hit so hard. I tried hard to make sure I left it all out the water today, though, and I guess this was the result.

I wish it could have produced a better result for myself, my team and my coach, as we'd hoped we'd end the year (and my rowing career) getting medals rather than me being nursed through puking. It's frustrating having tried to do everything possible to prepare for this week, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes... and I'm trying to remind myself that sometimes it goes the other way, too.

__________________________
SUN AM UPDATE - So I woke up this morning feeling much better, so I am not sick... my system is back to normal and while I am still disappointed at not having performed better I know it was not for lack of effort.

7 comments:

Chris Keating said...

Sorry to hear about the results Altman but it doesnt take anything away from all of the work that you guys put in to get there. The dedication is just amazing. Enjoy the rest of your time in China and the Olympics.

Erich said...

You left everything out there and made us all proud. Everything else is just noise.

Never row my friend.

Erich Hoefer '95

drs39 said...

You are still obviously fucking awesome.

Chris said...

Mike -
You're an olympian. You've done good. Congratulations! It's awesome.
-Tribs

Chris said...

Mike -
You're an olympian. You've done good. Congratulations! It's awesome.
-Tribs

dad394 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!!!!!!!!!!




from your cousin katie

Akosa23 said...

You should be very proud Mike. Congrats to you and your team for representing the United States of America at the 2008 Olympic Games.

It's an experience that you will keep with you forever.

Best,
-Akosa